Friday, June 3, 2011

Value of Mentorship in the "AA" Girls Program


For a number of years we have been promoting the concept of bringing in Team Canada players, CIS Champions, NCAA players/Champions to work with our teams and allow the girls in our "AA" program to understand the level of commitment that is required to develop into one of those players, to understand that they had many obstacles to overcome to get to the level where they were able to achieve, that it isn't easy ( and if it was, anybody could do it) and despite all the challenges that the players face (even today) hockey is the greatest game and the girls should stay in the game as long as they can.

Well, when the Kodiaks were preparing for the Esso Cup, one of their technical directors sent them a congratulatory message from the National selection camp she was attending. Even though Caroline Ouellette had her hands full with making the national team for the world championships and preparing for that challenge, she had time to write this message:


Hi Girls!

Just wanted to say congratulations for winning the provincial championship! I was so happy to see the results of your great performance during the 6 games you played.You girls deserve it! You are extremely talented, yet worked very hard to be the best.

It is a great honour to be able to represent Quebec at the Nationals and you can be proud. I believe that you can go on and win it as well! Keep working together, doing whatever it takes for each other and the team. When the tournament is over, you want to be able to say to yourself that you gave it all and have no regrets. At times, the game might not start the way you want it and this is when you have to stick together, stay positive and find a way to give one another confidence. Always try to stay in the present moment focusing on the next shift and not thinking about what happened before. I personally believe that I play better when my mind is free and I am not thinking. I just read and react to what happens. I act when my team has the puck. I want the puck, I ask for it and when I have it, I want to be a difference maker!

Here's a quote I like:
"I will never quit, I will persevere and thrive on adversity. If knocked down, I will get back up every time.
I am never out of the fight.''

I wish I could be there as you prepare for the championship but I am at the National team selection camp.
Don't hesitate to write if I can help in any way!
Best of luck girls!

Well, let me tell you that when i read this email, all I could say is "This is exactly why I have been pushing for the mentorship program. what an inspiration, what guidance, what leadership and what tremendous support!"

How could anyone ever deny that value of the mentorship program when 3 time gold medalist in women's hockey invests herself in these girls success to this point! Now, i want this kind of support for every girl who plays hockey in Lac St Louis!

No comments:

Post a Comment